Monday 8 January 2007

snow mountains trees


I am back and it has taken me all this time, hampered by (procrastination) technical difficulties, like log-ins and internet not working to PC crashing to get myself into gear to write something again. I am back in London (since Wednesday) and that has been an adjustment. I really did not want to leave Rome and the warm family vibes to come back here...well its okay, that's what holidays are for... to give you a break from everyday.

I wanted to trace though the time in a diary like way (begining to end?), linking in with photos, but i don't actually have the earlier ones with me, they are on Fra's computer and he'll only be back Friday. So working with what I've got on my camera, which is more recent here goes... At least this means i still have lots of material for DAILY additions from now on.


Before leaving Monterotondo for Terminillo where we spent a day between Christmas and new year, we walked through Monterotondo Vecchio, the old part of the town. There are all sorts of winding little roads and picturesque alley ways. Francesco was showing me all the old haunts.


We went up to Terminillo which is north of Monterotondo, and north of Rieti - said to be the heart of Italy- see map...


The trip took about an hour and a half, we did not rush too much. I enjoyed seeing this other countryside, that is hilly and covered with olive groves and then forests. Familiar and new at the same time. We left in time to catch the last bit of light as we arrived in Terminillo.


Walking on proper snow for the first time
My first contact with 'real' snow, love the way it crunches underfoot. The light was so beautiful over the valley. We were on a short circular route that contours a small peak. Which is also home to the abandoned mountain house of Mussolini (will include image at later stage).

Rust coloured leaves on forest floor
The area (pian de rosce) is named after the rich rusty coloured leaves during autumn and early winter. Next day, walks around the area, there was less snow than is usual for this time of year, but that seems to be the case all over Europe this winter. In the 70's and 80's this was a popular skiing area, but its quite now and there are a number of abandoned hotels. I suppose it could be a bit spooky if you let your imagination go. The quite was welcome after the crowds and sight-seeing around Rome. Walking in nature and clean air was restoring and one of the best parts of the whole time away.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First to comment!! Cool!!! ;)

Wow - such stunning photos! I'm even more jealous now! Can't wait to take Fran to Italy - looks so amazing - just like I imagine....

Sounds like you had a really fantastic trip - really glad.... :)

Anonymous said...

Hi sarah! these are really beautiful pictues.

Anonymous said...

I remember light through the branches of trees used to be one of your favourite things... very beautifull.